Friday, April 5, 2013

Look Both Ways!

The black, crusty snowbanks are finally receding enough for me to see the light at the end of the tunnel. The angle of the sun in the sky changes the feeling of the season enough to see spring coming. Things outside feel different... there is a hint of warmness in the air, the breeze is swirling bits of dust and dirt, there is a slight feeling of moisture as the snow melts away and winter's dryness dissipates.

Charlie and I are resuming our morning and evening walks on a more regular schedule - no more weather excuses! I'm somewhat surprised (and disappointed in myself) at how skittish Charlie has become towards everyday objects - a half-melted snowman, a plastic bag blowing across the street, sudden loud noises - all make her jump! I feel as though I've let her down by not socializing her to the outside world enough in the winter. I mean, sure we hike in the woods... she's familiar and comfortable with that solitude. It's the city noise that she's become unaccustomed to and now frightens her. I worry what the neighborhood noise will do to her once we are able to open windows in the house!

In order to get her comfortable with city noises again, we've been walking downtown a lot lately. We're noticing a lot more walkers, bikers and skateboarders out now that the weather has gotten a bit nicer and the sidewalks are finally clear.

The other night we proceeded into a crosswalk at a non-busy street corner and were almost hit by a car! He was just going to roll through the stop sign and hadn't even looked in our direction. I yanked Charlie's leash back and watched as his eyes popped out and his mouth formed an "O" as he realized he was about to hit us. We quickly ran across the street and out of the crosswalk, but it makes me ask:

"Why the hell is everyone in such a damn hurry!?"

Life has gotten so hectic that we're running around like chickens with our heads cut off, not even paying attention to where we're going. I'll get off my soapbox now, but geez, I really wish there was a way to make people stop and pay attention.

Today was National Walk To Work Day... which I did. I even noticed a few new people walking the same route as me, presumably also walking to work. I feel so lucky that I live close enough to my workplace to be able to walk. If you live close enough to walk (or bike) to work, I hope you see it as an opportunity to slow down and enjoy life, take care of yourself and do some good for the environment. And if you drive, please look both ways!

Get walking people. 

No comments:

Post a Comment