Friday, July 26, 2013

Best Laid Plans...

Sometimes things just don't go as planned. There's intrinsic value in being able to roll with the punches and accept that even the best laid plans can go awry. It's advisable to have a positive attitude and lean towards spontaneity rather than being dismayed when Murphy's Law takes over.

Road trips can lead to flat tires, detours and wrong turns. With the right attitude, those events can become adventures! How boring would life be if everything went as planned, right?

Taking the scenic route has its advantages too. Like when I pulled over to fill up the car with gas and found an actual Whistle Stop Cafe right on the railroad tracks! I love the movie, Fried Green Tomatoes, and therefore had to pull around to the back of the gas station to take some pics...


...and then I saw an old boarded-up train station on the other side of the quaint cafe, history seeping from every creaky board. I swear you could almost hear the faint cry of a train whistle off in the distance!


I've had a few days now to rest and reflect on the fun road trip, hiking and camping experiences we had last weekend.  Not everything on the itinerary was accomplished, but we packed as much as we could into the time we had. The return route was supposed to take us past Willow River State Park so I could hike the trail to the waterfall and have another awesome trip report for you, but we got lost for over an hour. And after arriving at the state park and driving all the way through it, I realized that the trail to the falls was actually just up the road from the state park entrance, not in the park. I was hot, irritable and frustrated so I bypassed this stop and got back on the highway to go home. Charlie was ready to take a long nap and I wished I could have laid down in the backseat with her. We'd had enough fun for this weekend and the rest would have to wait for another time. (But I REALLY wanted to see the waterfalls badly!)

Charlie is ready to go.

There will never be enough time in the day, but if you enjoy the time that you have, you've accomplished enough.


Have you ever gotten lost or had some "other" mishap occur while on a trip? Did it turn into a memorable adventure or was it just a complete disaster? Could your frame of mind have changed the outcome?


No comments:

Post a Comment