Sunday, October 29, 2017

Peak of Fall

"I find that the great thing in this world 
is not so much where we Stand, 
as in what direction we are Moving." 
~ Oliver Wendell Holmes


I woke up after sleeping in this morning and found the bedroom flooded with light... sun! Even though it was a chilly 26 degrees, I decided we were going hiking so we could soak up some much-needed sunlight.

Charlie racing through the crunchy leaves.

However, by the time we reached our destination, the clouds had already moved in and the wind had become brisk and chilly.

Determined to make the best of it, we explored the shoreline of Big Eau Pleine Reservoir, hiked around an island and then headed back to the parking lot when it got too cold.

We saw a muskrat enter this piece of driftwood, but couldn't find it when we arrived.



Despite the cool temps and wind, it was a very peaceful and relaxing hike. Charlie romped around on the beach chewing sticks with her newly healed mouth and I crunched through a thick layer of leaves on the secluded island.




On the calm side of the island, away from the blustery wind, we took our time exploring the reeds along the shore and taking a moment to enjoy the silence and the way my boots sunk into the soft sand.


Several trees offered views of their sculptural elements now that the leaves have been stripped away. And although we didn't find any "treasures" like last time, there were plenty of visual treasures that we took away with us as memories of one of the last fall days before the snow comes.

Praying Mantis tree?

Seasons are changing and I become more introspective during these times. I miss my dad a lot around this time of year and wish he could meet my new boyfriend and see how happy I am.

Life is constantly changing and evolving. As soon as you get comfortable, life throws you something new. The rollercoaster continues... sometimes good, sometimes bad, but always moving forward.

Fresh kill (mostly eaten) likely from a hawk or eagle.


4 comments:

  1. You are brave! It was too windy and rough for me outside today! It's funny, because a day like this in early spring would seem warm. ;-) I feel more introspective this time of year, too. Sorry about your dad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beth. You're right... it's funny how cooler weather in the fall feels colder than spring!

      Delete
  2. At first glance the picture of Charlie chewing on the stick looked to me like she was peeking at something UNDER the branch!It made me smile! In the crispness of that cold breeze or the warmth of the sun shining on you know your dad is with you and knows your happiness.

    ReplyDelete