Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Midnight Thunder-Snow

Last night, just after midnight, I woke up to the sound of distant rumbling thunder. I had been thinking earlier that evening that it would be cool to get a thunderstorm about now, but with all the snow and lingering cold weather I figured it would be awhile - so this turn of events put a sleepy smile on my face as I slowly drifted back to sleep. But about a half hour later there was a big *crack* of thunder that woke me up with a start and I thought Charlie might start barking... but she just snuggled herself in closer against me, sighed and went back to sleep.

This morning, though, it appears that there was no thunderstorm last night; everything was covered in 2 inches of wet, dripping snow... last night had to be thunder-snow.

And the crappy weather continues. The National Weather Service is forecasting another 1-3 inches of rain through this evening and then changing over to snow tonight, with additional snow accumulation of 2-4 inches through tomorrow night. Since the rivers and lakes are still ice-covered, all this precipitation is going to cause a lot of flooding problems. And our temperatures continue to be about 15 degrees below normal.

The lack of spring sunshine and change of season is starting to take its toll on me. I'm grumpy, short-tempered, and tired. I need to see some tulips and daffodils pretty soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment