Friday, May 2, 2014

Pee-Mail

The days are getting longer and warmer which is allowing us to take longer and more leisurely walks in the evening. After the long winter, we're really enjoying this!

But tonight, as Charlie stopped every ten feet to sniff a tree or fire hydrant, I got to thinking...

If a dog's sense of smell is 10,000 times better than a human's, why do they have to take so god-damned long to sniff another dog's pee?!!! She's like a wine snob dissecting the various notes of a fine French wine!

Anyway, I know I could take charge of the situation and tug her away from the smells and keep us going at a quick pace, able to walk more miles in a shorter time. But I'd hate to take away her enjoyment of being out and checking her pee-mail. After all, she's patient enough with me being on the computer checking my own e-mail when she'd rather be playing.

Life's made up of a lot of "give and takes"... for both humans and dogs!

 

2 comments:

  1. So true! A good reminder for the humans! We'll have to let Barry do some more pee-mail rather than pulling him away so quickly. He's earned it after such a long day...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Yes! Usually one of Freddie's daily walks is a "sniff walk." He gets to set the pace and, within reason, decide where we go.

    Beautiful photo — I'd love to be rowing on that water!

    ReplyDelete