Thursday, May 22, 2014

The Year of Number 4?

I meditate sometimes... actually I'm trying to get better at this, at quieting my mind at night before bed. But I tend to make excuses to avoid this activity, even though I feel much better when I do it. Most of the time I can't still my thoughts and my mind just won't stop thinking about stuff.

I realize that the practice of meditation will eventually help quiet my mind, but I haven't gotten there yet. I guess that's why I like hiking and walking so much... it's more of a moving meditation. Sitting quietly isn't something I do well unless it involves a cup of coffee and a good book.

Anyway, last night while I was "meditating," I started thinking about the number 4. I'm turning 40 next month and probably mulling over my mid-life situation more than usual. And as I started thinking about numbers, I realized there are a lot of number 4's this year!

1.  I adopted Charlie when she was 4 months old.
2.  This is the 4th year that Charlie and I have been together.
3.  Charlie will turn 4 in October this year.
4.  I'm turning 40 in about a week.
5.  The year is 2014.
6.  I just realized that my favorite author, Dr. Seuss, wrote 44 books.

Okay, so that last one was a little weird, but the other ones are pretty cool! If I were to play the lottery, I'd be picking a lot of number 4's!

2 comments:

  1. 40? You young'un! ;-) Happy Birthday!!

    (I'm a crappy meditator, too, but I agree that it's a good thing to do!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, saying "I meditate sometimes" is such an oxymoron... like saying "I want to lose weight so I eat healthy sometimes." I'm going to work on making it more of a priority from now on... it's hard to take care of others when you don't take care of yourself first. ;)

      Delete