Saturday, January 19, 2013

Dells of the Eau Claire River County Park


This hidden gem located about 30 minutes East of Wausau is one of our favorite hiking places. A short (and scenic) drive provides miles of beautiful hiking trails, most of them completely deserted. I prefer hiking on quiet, secluded trails away from people and noise. And while this is a popular destination for both locals and visitors, there are still plenty of trails that are off the beaten path.


Hiking is a time for me to escape the hustle and bustle of the city life and let my mind wander without any distractions. Quiet is essential for my creative thinking and I look forward to these hikes all week long. Thoughts of the fresh crisp air and the snow crunching under my boots are what keep me sane during the long work-week. Saturday morning is the highlight of our week ~ and Charlie refuses to let me sleep in for long. She knows that when my automatic coffee pot doesn't go off, it must be Saturday, and the hiking is about to begin!

The falls were quiet today, although you could hear the water gurgling through the small openings here and there. Sound was so muted that I felt like I was transported to another world. You could almost imagine that you were hiking in a forest in the Pacific Northwest... just the smell of pine and clean air.

Here's a link to a great map showing the hiking trails:  Dells of Eau Claire Hiking Trails

*Another bonus about making the drive is that we can stop at the Owl Ridge General Store on the way home for some treats and baking supplies. Click here for directions and hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment