Sunday, December 13, 2015

Driftless Region + Governor Dodge State Park


I love all of Wisconsin... its lakes, rivers, forests, prairies, and bluffs. But I hold a special place in my heart for the Driftless Region.

Car selfies are becoming a habit for us. 
Charlie and I happened to be back in the Dodgeville area this weekend and since the weather was crazy, unseasonably warm - we're talking 60 degrees on December 13th - we made a trip over to Governor Dodge State Park for a visit.





The drizzly rain didn't dampen our spirits as we breathed in the warm, humid air and revisited some old favorite trails. Stephens' Falls was scenic as always, the recent rain making for some nice trickling waterfalls and streams full of bright green watercress.



The damage from tornadoes of recent years evident in the multitude of fallen and broken trees was sad, but it was nice to see that previously closed trails are now open again.

As we drove around the park, I found some new places to check out too. Which is to be expected in one of Wisconsin's largest state parks, with over 5,300 acres to explore. I sometimes wish I lived closer so I could spend more time exploring all that this park has to offer.

I hope you enjoy the photos and videos of Rock Shelter...





VIDEOS:




1 comment:

  1. I've never hiked at Stephens Falls--thanks for the idea! We've traveled the Driftless Region many times by car, since our daughter went to college in the LaCrosse area. But I'd like to spend more time hiking in that part of the state. Crazy, warm weather, huh?

    ReplyDelete