Sunday, May 7, 2017

Switching Gears

Charlie had another "fearful" day out on the hiking trail today. We attempted to hike the Underdown Segment of the Ice Age Trail up in Lincoln County but didn't make it very far when Charlie got spooked by something and wouldn't go any further.

I don't know if she heard something (I didn't) or possibly scented on something like a bear, coyote or wolf? Who knows.

In any case, we had to turn back after less than a mile of hiking. It was probably a good thing, though, since we were both crawling with ticks by then.

Wisconsin is getting really bad with ticks. Seems like we can't go anywhere between April and November without having ticks on us. May and June seem to be the absolute worst months, which is a shame because by then we're just dying to get out on the trails.

But there's a new tick disease that's got me a little worried because there is no cure and it's popping up in our area. I'm starting to think that between Charlie's fearfulness on trails recently and the constant threat of tick diseases, that we might be better off switching gears this summer and spending more time kayaking rather than hiking.

I've been planning on buying a kayak this spring and am just waiting for my tax return to make the purchase. Charlie and I love being out on the water and it's been a few years since we've had a kayak, so maybe this will be our "thing" this year.

I'm sure we'll still be out on a few of the "less wilderness" trails on a few weekends here and there (where ticks are less prevalent), and we definitely have a couple of camping trips scheduled, but since we live so close to the Wisconsin River, we could take the kayak out every night after work. That sounds like a ton of fun to me!

Kayak fun from 2013 - CLICK LINK



4 comments:

  1. Kayaking is lots of fun, but I think you should look at stand up paddleboards before you buy anything. If you haven't tried one, you need to. It is a ton of fun, and better with dogs, I think, since the entire craft is standable. If do you go with a kayak, though, I recommend adding some neoprene or something to the front so it is an easier place to stand for dogs. I'm sure you guys will have a great time this summer regardless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tips! The local paddle shop is holding "demo days" this upcoming weekend, so I'll have to try out a paddleboard. I've always been curious about them. :)

      Delete
  2. I have a 7yr old boxer who reacts exactly the same as Charlie in simliar situations. I love reading your blog it really helps me deal with my Max's fears! Commenting is something I don't think I've ever done however I got a kick out of the fact that I just literally read page 95 in Melanie Radzicki McManus's book THOUSAND MILER ADVENTURES HIKING THE ICE AGE TRAIL and there she mentions the traihead in Underdown and felt the need to share!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! I'm so glad you're reading that book. I love it that more people are learning about the Ice Age Trail. It's something that makes me proud to live in Wisconsin. I appreciate the comment too - it's nice to know people enjoy reading our adventures.

      Delete