Saturday, July 7, 2018

Hiking With Two Dogs

The cicadas have begun their summer song and it always takes me back to my childhood... I love this sound. It seems to come at the peak of summer; arriving in time to remind us to enjoy what little time is left before the next season comes around. I feel an urgency to get out and do more when I hear their high keening song.


With the thought of a dwindling summer in mind, I decided to take the dogs hiking along the Plover River Segment of the Ice Age Trail today and get the most out of this fleeting time of year.

But going by myself (with both dogs) was a little daunting to think about.

You see, Jake is now the same weight as Charlie - 47 lbs... and still growing. Having two dogs attached to me on a hike through uneven terrain and only out-weighing them by 40 lbs can be a little intimidating. I wasn't sure if I'd be able to handle both at the same time by myself.

VIDEO (Dogs hiking side-by-side):

But, miraculously, we did just fine! Charlie has a lot of experience in the woods and on the trails, so she walks with a purpose... she's all about the destination and she's in a hurry to get there. She plows forward like a sled-pulling machine.

Jake is young and experiencing everything for the first time. He seems patient with Charlie's pace, but he is busy taking in his surroundings, looking left and right and smelling everything. If he smells something that absolutely must be sniffed longer, he just stops. And so, I am ever-vigilant while we are walking, watching his every move in case he stops and I run right over him! I've learned to be ready to put on the brakes when Jake stops.

Because of this, my hikes with the dogs are not as enjoyable in the normal sense because I spend all my time watching them instead of taking in the scenery around me. But I don't mind. I love seeing Jake enjoying his time in nature and learning how to hike alongside Charlie. And I think Charlie enjoys being a teacher of sorts. Jake reminds us to stop and smell the roses, which is good for both myself and Charlie.



The dogs were on-leash until we arrived at the Plover River, where I let them off-leash to swim and cool off. We explored the banks along the small river and settled in to enjoy nature. The sound of the babbling water, the wind in the leaves, birds chirping the most beautiful songs and of course, the cicadas.




It was so cute watching Jake explore the river, carefully stepping over submerged rocks and feeling his way around. He joined Charlie in chewing on sticks and jumping from island to island. They raced each other along the path, chasing the one stick that both of them wanted.



And then we headed back, refreshed from our time along this magical river, swatting at the swarm of deer flies all the way back to the parking area, where Jake found some poop and decided to eat it before getting in the car.

Ah well... as perfect as a day with dogs can be! I love these little munchkins and am so glad we enjoyed a beautiful summer day together. It was worth the bugs and poop-eating. But Jake is NOT getting any kisses tonight.

VIDEO #1 (Playing in the river):


VIDEO #2 (Playing in the river):

VIDEO #3 (Playing in the river):


VIDEO #4 (Playing in the river):