Thursday, September 13, 2018

Got Wheels?


A few years ago, my mom tore her meniscus in her knee while out on a walk with her dog Peanut. One minute everything was fine, the next minute she could barely walk. Luckily she was only a few blocks from home when it happened, but it took quite a long time before she could walk without assistance and during that time of limited mobility, she put on extra weight. Her knee has healed now and mobility has returned, however I think mentally she's afraid it'll happen again so she doesn't venture far from the house on walks anymore.

My mom's dog, Peanut, has her own issues with walking... limited mobility as her joints age along with poor genetics and old injuries keep her from going very far too. Mom used to walk Peanut around the block a few times a week but lately, Peanut can barely make it that far. At almost 12 years old, her little legs just can't do it anymore.


So last weekend, as Mom and I walked around downtown for Wausau's Artrageous Weekend, we did quite a bit of people-watching (our favorite!)... and some dog watching too. There were many well-behaved dogs walking through the crowds (yes, I was totally jealous) but we also saw a little pet stroller holding two tiny yorkies.

Mom said she wanted to get one for Peanut. I thought she was joking, but the more I thought about it, I realized it was a great idea!



Peanut gets so jealous and sad when I take the other two dogs out for walks or hikes. She follows us to the door, whimpering pathetically with her lower lip trembling (totally heartbreaking!). Mentally she wants to go on walks but physically she just can't.

So we did a little research and ended up selecting one off Amazon for about $45 and it was delivered today! Mom chose the purple one so it matched the purple streak in her hair. Now they are totally rocking the dog walk!

I don't remember the last time I saw my mom this happy. She was so excited to take Peanut for a walk and Peanut felt the same! Those two were so adorable.



Peanut can ride in comfort wherever Mom wants to take her and Mom has the stroller to lean on in case she needs extra support if her knee feels weak. Honestly I think it just helps her mentally to have something to hold onto. Plus she can bring along a bottle of water, books, and dog supplies in the little carrier tray without having to lug a heavy bag along.

This pet stroller is going to open up all kinds of new adventures for these two... proving that with the right gear, you can get outdoors at any age and almost any physical level. I have a feeling Mom is going to start losing weight now that she feels comfortable getting out walking and it gives her a purpose to allow Peanut to have some outdoor time in a way they can both enjoy.

Having freedom and mobility is so important to boost your mood - both for dogs and people. And being able to enjoy the outdoors... getting fresh air, sunshine and exercise is vitally important for health and well-being. For a small investment, these two "seniors" have a new outlook on life and I couldn't be happier!


*For those who don't already know, my mom and her dog Peanut live with me and my two dogs. We have a house that was converted into a duplex so we each have our own living space but we can visit each other anytime. Added bonus - Charlie and Jake get to hang out with their "grandma" during the day when I'm at work!

**We did not receive any free products in exchange for this semi-review. We purchased the pet stroller on Amazon with our own money and our opinions are all our own.