Saturday, August 17, 2013

Tickled Pink

One of my fellow bloggers, Gigi Griffis, recommended a book recently that I was excited to begin reading but not really sure if I was "ready" to read. The title of the book is 'Love With a Chance of Drowning' by Torre DeRoche.


The title alone makes you want to read it, but even better - the cover art is awesome and matches the colors in my bedding! The problem, though, was that I wasn't sure I was in the mood to read about this woman's awesome romantic adventure of sailing the Pacific Ocean with a hot guy since my own love-life has been on hold for almost three years.

You see, after a very long relationship/marriage to a sweet guy who was just not right for me in a lot of ways, we mutually agreed to part ways a few years ago. There was no drama; only an adjustment period while getting used to a new way of life, followed by a period of mourning for letting go of the life I had planned for us. It was a hard decision at the time, but I know now that it was the right decision and I'm a stronger and happier person for choosing to lead my own life and follow my own dreams; to stop living my life for someone else. It's awesome to be in pursuit of my own happiness.

But at this middle-point in life, after having spent most of my life with one person, it's hard to even think about opening up again to someone new. Plus I have no idea how to meet people and internet dating just does not appeal to me. I had romanticized about the idea of running into the perfect guy at the dog park and bonding over a cup of coffee while watching our dogs romp off into the sunset together. Being an overly-romantic type of person is a bit of a liability when you're hit with the realization that things are never going to work out like that.

Then I pick up this book about a perfect twenty-something girl who meets her Mr. Right in a bar and ends up sailing off into the sunset with the man of her dreams while embarking on the biggest adventure of her life. I prepared myself to be supremely jealous of her luck in love. But the book isn't an in-your-face love story. It's about tackling your fears in order to create the life you want, not letting your fears hold you back from great opportunities. It's a real-life look at the evolution of a relationship in impossible circumstances. Although I have to admit, Ivan (the boyfriend) is a little too perfect to believe sometimes. Are there really men like that out there? God, I hope so.

In any case, I couldn't put the book down. I read it straight through in one weekend. And then the following weekend I painted my bedroom pink. Cotton-candy pink to be specific. I'm hoping the warm glow of that pink paint will open my heart to the possibility of finding love again.

It's amazing what a little paint can do.

New pink walls (and yes, I'm one of those people who frames calendar art)

The book reaffirms for me that taking a leap into the unknown can be scary but you'll never know if you don't try. As difficult as it is to take a chance, you're never going to have an adventure if you don't go out and explore your opportunities! My mind is churning with ideas for my next adventure and there's no time to waste. There will never be a "right" time... sometimes you just have to dive in and hope for the best!

If you're looking for a great summer-read before the days get any shorter, head to your local bookstore, buy this book, grab a towel and sunglasses and get your butt to the beach! This book will help your mind set sail and sweep you away to another world, all while reminding you that love is alive. Somewhere.

Take an adventure. Be fearless.

You can read more about Torre DeRoche at http://www.fearfuladventurer.com/.


No comments:

Post a Comment