Saturday, January 25, 2014

Mother Nature's Sense of Humor

 
It was still dark this morning when I woke up. I could hear the slushy consistency of the street below my bedroom window as cars drove past; snowplows hadn't been by yet. We received another 2" of snow last night and temperatures are forecast to drop significantly over the weekend and into next week.
 
I threw on a thick sweater and my slippers and headed to the kitchen to get the coffee started while Charlie stayed snuggled in bed. The outside temperature was 5 degrees and as I watched the morning weather report on t.v., I realized that would be our high for the day. We'll be in the negative digits by noon with wind chills reaching -25. Another 2" of snow will arrive tonight and through Sunday morning.
 
I'm really not enjoying this little trick Mother Nature is playing on us this winter. The alternating sub-zero temps followed by a dumping of snow repeated over and over every week is getting a bit tedious. And while I enjoy the sparkly beauty that winter brings us each year, it's really hard to get out and enjoy it when this "Polar Vortex" is swirling over us constantly.
 
Last winter I had to remind myself to be patient a few times but this year seems even worse and getting harder.
 
I think Charlie is even succumbing to winter blues. Her energy demands have subsided, she's put on a couple pounds and seems content to beg for treats out of boredom rather than play. She no longer whines to go outside; she knows it's going to be too cold.

<<<sigh>>>

I'm going to have to dig deep to find some optimism to keep us going for the next couple of months.

2 comments:

  1. We feel exactly the same!! Its getting a bit old. I wish we lived where I could just go for a walk down the street safely, but its a busy road with no shoulders. And people fly. I've been able to keep Teach busy, but its getting harder to be more creative. While he has kept the pounds off his muscle tone is leaving. *sigh* just 60 some more days till spring!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear you are able to keep Teach busy. I think I am getting more bored of the routine than Charlie but because I'm not excited about the routine, she's taking the same stance. I'm lucky that Charlie was so lean and toned at the beginning of winter and even with the slight weight gain, she is still in good shape. I finally gave in and ordered a pair of Ruffwear boots this weekend though... she's just so active for the Pawz Boots and ended up tearing through them too quickly.

    ReplyDelete