Wednesday, October 3, 2018

Charlie's 8th Birthday


Crazy to think I've had this girl for almost 8 years. Where does the time go?

When I look back at old blog posts, I remember what a pain in the ass she was back when she was a puppy. So demanding of my time and attention. Always wanting me to do something with her. The hours-long walks we did every single day. The miles of trails we hiked on weekends. All the puzzle games and food games we played to keep her mentally stimulated. The amount of dog behavior and training books I read.


Whew. It makes me tired just thinking about it.


But during those years, we learned each other's language. I can tell what she needs just by a look or watching her body language. She can likely do the same with me. We became a team along the way.


And over this last year, I've noticed she's slowed down quite a bit; not needing quite so much activity. Her anxieties toward other dogs and noises prevented her from getting out as much and she seemed more content and happy to stay home. I just went with the flow and let her do her thing. When I left for a walk or a hike, I asked if she wanted to come along and if she hesitated or walked away from the door, I left her home. That's what she wanted.


But then this spring we added a new dog - Jake. I had hoped he would give Charlie a playmate and bring her the things that she missed out on by being fear-aggressive with other dogs. And it worked! Charlie and Jake have a great time playing together and he's brought new energy into the house.


Charlie has her moments where I can tell she doesn't enjoy sharing attention but I do my best to share the love equally. Plus, now we have Alan in our family and there's so much love and attention to share with everyone.


Charlie's not the same dog she was when I adopted her off Craigslist almost 8 years ago. I'm definitely not the same person I was. We still live in the same house and our routine is mostly the same, but so much of our life has changed.


And that's what happens over time. Things change. Sometimes so slowly you don't even notice.

Happy birthday my sweet Charlie. My love for you still grows daily and I'm so grateful I took the chance on adopting you. You've made my life so much better than it was. You challenge me in ways I never thought a dog could. You make me appreciate when things go easy because of the difficulties we've been through. And you've shown me that going through difficulties only grows bonds stronger.

You'll always be my girl.

VIDEO (Birthday treat!):


Birthday bedtime snack... celery and peanut butter!

Charlie's birthday morning started with bringing out ALL the toys in the living room!
*This post is a day late (Charlie's birthday was October 2nd) because I wanted to actually spend her birthday paying attention to her rather than writing this blog post. Just one of those lessons I've learned from my dogs... live in the moment and be present.*