Friday, October 5, 2018

Dwindling Daylight


This summer flew by way too fast and I'm more than a little sad about it. There's so much that I wanted to do with Jake that we never had time to do.

And as we try to squeeze the most out of these weekdays and the dwindling daylight left after work, I realize that it will likely be snowing in a month or so. What a strange thought.


Because evenings like last night, where the 46 degree temps still feel mild and the river is still open and flowing, and I'm only wearing a sweater, it's hard to think about wearing boots and hats and scarves and being almost too cold to be outside. And yet, it will be here soon.


The funny thing is, watching the dogs romp around and play, I realize there's no point in being sad. They have no concept of it being "too dark to be at the park" or "too cold to go swimming." They do what brings them joy no matter what the circumstances.


So I sit back on my picnic table at the park and soak up the dwindling daylight. I watch them chase each other. I laugh at Jake because he takes a quick dip into the water to go swimming whenever he gets close to the shore and then comes out, shakes off the water and takes off after Charlie again. I marvel at how much of a water-dog he is... you just can't keep him from swimming if water is nearby!

VIDEO #1:


VIDEO #2:

I gaze at the trees beginning to reach peak color and their blurry reflections in the water, enjoying the sound of the swollen river flowing fast, full to the top of the riverbanks from all the recent rain. The darkening sky seems to enhance the fall colors, the leaves turning a darker, deeper color as the light disappears from the sky.

VIDEO #3:


Soon enough, we'll be walking in the dark after work. But for right now, there's still a sliver of light and a chance for a fleeting sunset.