Sunday, November 10, 2013

A-MAZE-ing Power


Charlie and I visited a post-Halloween corn maze for a little exploring this weekend. For those readers who don't know what a corn maze is, farmers sometimes harvest their corn in a series of paths to make a "maze" for families to enjoy during harvest season (typically through Halloween) in conjunction with a pumpkin patch or apple orchard. It's a fun and festive tradition to celebrate harvest time and get people in the holiday spirit.

As we made our way through the paths, the corn stalks were unusually noisy, blowing and rustling in the strong wind. But all the noise couldn't keep my imagination from blooming. And as I walked, I began to think about the movie, The Labyrinth, which was very fitting considering I was in a labyrinth of sorts myself.

In the movie, the Goblin King kidnaps a young girl's baby brother and steals him away to a magical land where she has to find her way through the labyrinth in time to save her brother. My favorite line of the movie is near the end when she confronts the Goblin King after going through the labyrinth, fulfilling all his "tests" and she realizes, "You have no power over me."

What a profound realization.

Remember this whenever you have to confront a Goblin King in your life; remember that line and repeat it to yourself often:

YOU HAVE NO POWER OVER ME.
 
You are the only person who can change your life. No one is in control of your destiny. If you don't like something about your life, change it. Because you know what? YOU have the power to do that.
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment