Saturday, February 2, 2019

Groundhog Day Hike


We finally got a chance to get outside for a hike today after a week of bitterly cold temps. It hasn't been this cold in decades and I'm really glad for it to be over (for now).

The dogs have been sticking to me like statically-charged dog hair (you know what I'm talking about!). I can't get a break. They have been following me around non-stop all week wondering why we're not going for a walk or a ride to the park.


Jake pauses at the hook by the door where the harnesses and leashes hang... nosing them and then looking at me like, "aren't you going to put these on us?"

Ugh. It's torture. Mostly because I want to go outside too, but also because I don't speak their language and have no way to tell them that I can't control the weather.



They could barely get enough time to go potty in the backyard before their paws would freeze up and they couldn't walk. For two of the days this week, we had to go through the routine of putting boots on them for potty breaks because it was just too cold to go potty at all.

VIDEO (Click Link):


But today, it finally reached that 20 degree mark where it was safe enough to be outside for an extended period of time.


On our drive to the hiking trails, a dense fog developed and visibility decreased drastically. It coated the tree branches, making them look fuzzy. The atmosphere became ethereal.

There were a ton of people out on the lake ice-fishing, but no one on the trails. I decided to play it safe and made our own trail out onto a peninsula so we could play without running into anyone.


Charlie was a little nervous from the ice-fisherman sounds drifting across the frozen lake... ice augers and 4-wheelers zipping around. I urged her on so we could get some good exploring time in and she grudgingly agreed to come, although she turned around frequently threatening to head back to the car by herself.



After a while she relaxed and decided romping around and chewing sticks with Jake was fun afterall. I liked breaking new trail through the fluffy snow, taking my time to make sure I didn't trip on buried branches, admiring nature's frosty decorations clinging to all the tree branches.


I practiced my camera settings and feel that I'm improving but I'm my own worst critic and at home I instantly hated all my photos. After I gave them some time to grow on me, I came to like a few, but there is still a lot of learning to do.


An hour and a half of exploring the woods and running around was enough to make the dogs curl up and pass out in their respective seats on the car ride home. I'm always delighted to see my rosy cheeks and twigs in my hair after a hike like today. I feel refreshed and renewed; it was a good day.

Jake curled up in back.

Charlie snoozing in front.

No comments:

Post a Comment